The mission of the Beth Tzedec Congregational School is to instill in the student a love of Jewish living. By creating environments that allow for acquiring knowledge and fostering commitment to Jewish life, the school stimulates students to become active and contributing members of their families, their grades, the Beth Tzedec and Toronto Jewish communities and the entire Jewish people.
The Congregational School realizes its mission by:
- Helping the student acquire basic skills necessary for taking part in Jewish religious life in the home and synagogue, and encouraging the desire to increase and sharpen these skills in future years, both as a teenager and an adult.
- Developing in the student and his/her family an understanding of, and an active commitment to, the values of Tzedakah and Gemilut Hasadim.
- Enabling the student to appreciate the continuity of Jewish life through the study of Hebrew, prayer, customs and holiday, Jewish texts, history and tradition.
- Encouraging and helping the student to develop a commitment to the principle of “Klal Yisrael”, and to act upon that commitment by building a life-long attachment to the State of Israel.
- Helping the student develop a sense of his/her Jewish identity.
- Planting and nurturing the seed of life-long Jewish learning.
- Encouraging the celebration of Shabbat, festivals, and Jewish rituals.
Classes for students in JK/SK through Grade 7 are on Sunday mornings and for Grades 3 to 7, there is also a mid-week, one-hour Hebrew tutorial. Home tutorials and online tutorials are also available.
Tags: Conservative, midtown